Rocket Division Software

CD/DVD/Blu-Ray/HD-DVD recording, iSCSI and AoE (ATA-over-Ethernet)

[ 7 posts ] 
AuthorMessage
 Post subject: Burned disk not recognized, not finalized
Posted:

I downloaded StarBurn today and burned my first disk. It was track-at-once. I didn't see a way to tell it to finalize the disk, so I just burned it and later tried to read it from another machine. It would not recognize the disk. I put it back in the machine I burned it from and it would not read it, either. I started up SB on that machine again and figured I could finalize the disk, but I see no way to do that. I've looked through the help and don't see it and have search on "finalize" here and didn't find anything that helped. Perhaps I'm just missing it, but in other apps it's been a prominent thing ("finalize after burn" or some such terminology). Can someone please tell me how to finalize this disk (at present, I assuming that's the issue)?

Thanks,

Russell

Post subject: Re: Burned disk not recognized, not finalized
Posted:

rcampbell12 wrote:
I downloaded StarBurn today and burned my first disk. It was track-at-once. I didn't see a way to tell it to finalize the disk, so I just burned it and later tried to read it from another machine. It would not recognize the disk. I put it back in the machine I burned it from and it would not read it, either. I started up SB on that machine again and figured I could finalize the disk, but I see no way to do that. I've looked through the help and don't see it and have search on "finalize" here and didn't find anything that helped. Perhaps I'm just missing it, but in other apps it's been a prominent thing ("finalize after burn" or some such terminology). Can someone please tell me how to finalize this disk (at present, I assuming that's the issue)?

Thanks,

Russell

Hello Russell,

For this please turn on "Expert Mode" (star icon on toolbar).
In this mode in Burn Data wizard you can see "Burning Options" page. On this page you must uncheck
"Create multisession disc" options. If this options unchecked then disc will be finalized.

Description of Burn Data wizard in "Expert Mode" you can find by this link:
"/starburn/help/databurnerwizard.htm"

Rocket Division Software

Posted:

Thanks, Andrey. I had actually turned on expert mode and gone back through the wizard and didn't see it, but I see now I had not gone far enough (I think I was a little worried about messing up the disk - I didn't want to have to burn it again - but maybe I was being overly cautious).

Anyway, is there just a way to finalize the disk now without putting anything else on it? I can just drop something else onto it and burn it with multisession unchecked, but would like to know if there is a way to finalize the disk without doing that.

Thanks again.

Posted:

rcampbell12 wrote:
Thanks, Andrey. I had actually turned on expert mode and gone back through the wizard and didn't see it, but I see now I had not gone far enough (I think I was a little worried about messing up the disk - I didn't want to have to burn it again - but maybe I was being overly cautious).

Anyway, is there just a way to finalize the disk now without putting anything else on it? I can just drop something else onto it and burn it with multisession unchecked, but would like to know if there is a way to finalize the disk without doing that.

Thanks again.

Hello,

Understand you.
Page "Burning Options" with check box "Create multisession disc" situated after "File Selection Page" page.

Unfortunately now you can do this only by unchecking "Create multisession disc" on "Burning Options" page
Possible in future we add some wizard with advanced operations (including disc finalization separated form burning).

Rocket Division Software

Posted:

Ok, thanks. I believe that Nero and Roxio can finalize a disk without making you put anything else on it, so it would be nice if StarBurn could.

Posted:

rcampbell12 wrote:
Ok, thanks. I believe that Nero and Roxio can finalize a disk without making you put anything else on it, so it would be nice if StarBurn could.

Ok, please inform about results.

Rocket Division Software

Posted:

Well, I added some more folders to the disk and burned it. I thought I still had expert mode turned on - I don't remember turning it off - but it was not turned on and it just started burning the disk before I got to indicate that I didn't want a multisession disk. But it must retain that setting somehow, because it did seem to close the disk after burning. However, when I inserted it in another computer, it would only show the first folder I burned and not any of the others. I've really never understood multisession disks. I've had no desire to do anything other than burn a bunch of files and folders onto a CD or DVD and finalize it right then, so I just haven't paid much attention to what that's all about. So I ended up with a disk where I thought I'd be able to see all the folders I put on it, but I can only see the first folder I put on it. I'm not sure if I did a multisession disk before with Nero or Roxio, but I do know that I was able to finalize the disk without adding files and I was able to see all the files I put on it. Perhaps you can tell me why I can't see the files I burned onto the disk.

[ 7 posts ]