RDS - software that rocks!

FAQFAQ             

Boot Screen issue

RocketDivision.Com Forum Index -> StarSkin
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AuthorMessage
sw_xcrunner

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 4:40 am    Post subject: Boot Screen issue

Whenever I try to add a new boot screen, through a new ntoskrnl.exe download, which is compatible with SP2, which I have, StarSkin will say that the new one is installed.

It isn't.

So, I instead do what was said to work in another topic, and edit the boot.ini, and move the new file to the system_32 folder. Windows does a magic trick, and restores the original, even if my copy of the original doesn't exist on the computer.

I really would like to get what I paid for, and be able to change my boot screen.

Oh, and because you can't enter the key, and I instead recieved a registry file (which is fine, it appears to function), the boot screen and login screen areas look no different than they did in the trial, except they seem to function, which leads me to question whether or not they really do function.

StarSkin v. 2.4.5.5
victor (staff)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 3:46 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
It isn't.

So your boot menu remains unchanged, doesn't it?
This can be because the user running StarSkin doesn't have rights to edit the file.
StarSkin works following way:
1. Copies specified file into ntstar.exe
2. Adds a new entry to the boot.ini file, which adds a new menu item in boot menu with the boot screen.
Quote:
So, I instead do what was said to work in another topic, and edit the boot.ini, and move the new file to the system_32 folder. Windows does a magic trick, and restores the original, even if my copy of the original doesn't exist on the computer.

You can change boot screen this way but it is not recommended. Changing windows system files requires system file protection to be disabled (AFAIK you can do it by changing registry, see tutorials on the net). But system files without protection can be changed by a virus or corrupted in other way.
Changing boot screen by StarSkin is much more safer and easier.

Best regards.
Victor.
      RocketDivision.Com Forum Index -> StarSkin
Page 1 of 1