RocketDivision.Com Forum IndexRocketDivision.Com
RDS - software that rocks!

FAQFAQ             

Blue Screen of Death with StarSkin 2.4.5

RocketDivision.Com Forum Index -> StarSkin
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AuthorMessage
cortez

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 3:41 am    Post subject: Blue Screen of Death with StarSkin 2.4.5

Hi - I sucessfully installed StarSkin 2.4.5, however, if I use the "auto-startup" feature and I reboot/restart my PC, i get the blue screen of death. I tried 5 times and each time the same issue.

I'm using a Dell Latitude D800, with a nVIDIA g*FORCE 4 4200 go video driver with 32Meg of video memory. (Video BIOS Info 4.28.20.31.C1) Is this a known problem with my video driver when restarting with the auto-startup feature? Advice would be appreciated...otherwise I just paid for something I can't use Crying or Very sad

cortez
alexey (staff)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 8:29 am    Post subject: BSoD & StarSkin

Hi,

I don't think that there is a problem with your VideoCard.
Please, tell us in which module or driver there is a crash?
This information is present in your BSoD.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 2:45 pm    Post subject: BsOD with StarSkin 2.4.5

hummmm... well, I uninstalled the software because my machine was unstable even if i didn't have StarSkin auto-loaded at startup. is there another way I can provide you the info you're looking for?

cortez
alexey (staff)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 4:46 pm    Post subject:

Can you tell us which file-systems do you have?
NTFS/FAT32 & etc.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 4:49 am    Post subject:

I'm using NTFS with a fully compressed drive. FYI, i used a XP restore point to reset my pc, then i reinstalled StarSkin... the only selection enabled is "enable themes". if i get the error again, i'll write down the info and post it.
cortez

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 4:50 am    Post subject:

i forgot to log in...the previous post was by me...

cortez
cconline1971

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 5:04 pm    Post subject:

As I posted in the other thread about the DLL, I get the blue screen. I have a brand new Dell Dimension 4600 (P4HT2.8Ghz, with 1GB ram, with NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 card running their driver 4.5.0.2). The screen points to a possible file problem called rxp.sys. That belongs to RocketDivision StarSkin. There must be some conflict with this XP. Any ideas?

Chad
serge (staff)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 6:19 pm    Post subject:

Hello
Try disabling the "emulate theme support" on the StarSkin Setup tab

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 7:23 pm    Post subject:

Don't I need that?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 9:18 am    Post subject:

I installed starskin the other day but it wouldnt run cos it didnt like my uxtheme, so i uninstalled starskin.
now twice in 1 day ive had the BSOD error with rxp as the culprit, why's this happening when starskin has been uninstalled?
using xp pro w/ sp1 on ntfs system
alexey (staff)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 9:37 am    Post subject:

Hi,

Just remove rxp.sys from you windows\system32\drivers folder

Bye
Anonymous wrote:
I installed starskin the other day but it wouldnt run cos it didnt like my uxtheme, so i uninstalled starskin.
now twice in 1 day ive had the BSOD error with rxp as the culprit, why's this happening when starskin has been uninstalled?
using xp pro w/ sp1 on ntfs system

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 1:06 pm    Post subject:

Hi,
I removed the rxp.sys file before, and i am still getting the BSOD... event viewer has some stuff about something still looking for rxp.
I searched through the registry and found a couple rxp.sys references and deleted them. But doesnt seem to fix anything as I still encounter BSODs for no reason at all.
never come across a program like this that couldn't uninstall itself properly and just bugger up your system.
seems as though I need to do a full reinstall of windows now to fix what this starskin program has done.

btw the starskin program is the only thing ive installed/uninstalled in the past couple of days so it must be the cause.
alexey (staff)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 2:42 pm    Post subject:

Hi,

If you don't have rxp.sys and StarSkin.exe then there is another reason of your BSoD. No one program can cause BSoD without it's binary.

Bye.
Anonymous wrote:
Hi,
I removed the rxp.sys file before, and i am still getting the BSOD... event viewer has some stuff about something still looking for rxp.
I searched through the registry and found a couple rxp.sys references and deleted them. But doesnt seem to fix anything as I still encounter BSODs for no reason at all.
never come across a program like this that couldn't uninstall itself properly and just bugger up your system.
seems as though I need to do a full reinstall of windows now to fix what this starskin program has done.

btw the starskin program is the only thing ive installed/uninstalled in the past couple of days so it must be the cause.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 10:57 am    Post subject:

hi alexey,

thanks for the help... but the bsod's that are happening all refer to rxp, so something leftover from starskin uninstall is obviously still hanging around looking for this file.
I havent installed any other programs since starskin and the bsod's only started after uninstalling.
either way I dont think there is much to do as Ive cleaned out the registry of any rxp traces and looks like only a reinstall of windows will fix it.

thanks anyway
alexey (staff)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 4:23 pm    Post subject:

Hi,

1) Please download the StarSkin Inspector utility at:
http://www.rocketdivision.com/downloads/SSInspector.exe
2) Please copy the utility to whatever destination you like (it doesnt
really matter).
3) Please launch and then close the StarSkin Inspector.
4) It will examine your system and produce the log file. The file
SSInspector.log can be found in the same directory as StarSkin Unspector
itself.
5) Please send us this log file with the short description of your problem.

Anonymous wrote:
hi alexey,

thanks for the help... but the bsod's that are happening all refer to rxp, so something leftover from starskin uninstall is obviously still hanging around looking for this file.
I havent installed any other programs since starskin and the bsod's only started after uninstalling.
either way I dont think there is much to do as Ive cleaned out the registry of any rxp traces and looks like only a reinstall of windows will fix it.

thanks anyway
      RocketDivision.Com Forum Index -> StarSkin
Page 1 of 1