RocketDivision.Com Forum IndexRocketDivision.Com
RDS - software that rocks!

FAQFAQ             

Compatability problem with Zone Alarm

RocketDivision.Com Forum Index -> StarSkin
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AuthorMessage
Gabe

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 5:56 am    Post subject: Compatability problem with Zone Alarm

I have 2 problems actually.

1. StarSkin does not keep any of my theme changes constant when I restart my computer. I have to manually open StarSkin and apply the theme. Otherwise it displays a "light" version of the real theme. (ForeverBlue)

2. StarSkin locked up my pc whenever I tried the above, today. It did so constantly, every time I tried to fix the theme. It would act like it's changing the theme, (please wait pops up, background goes gray) then it comes back like it did, but the "light" version of ForeverBlue remains and then my pc totally freezes. I have to turn my pc off then on again to get out of it.

Well, despite the fact I had to fix the theme every time my pc rebooted I haven't had any problem with it otherwise. The freezing problem only started *after* I updated Zone Labs' Zone Alarm (free edition) to the latest version.

So on whim, I decided to turn off Zone Alarm then fix the theme. Well for some reason it worked. I rebooted and tried it again without turning off Zone Alarm. It again locked up. I tried once again, making sure to turn off Zone Alarm. StarSkin worked fine and did it's job. So I'm led to believe that it's some sort of compatablity problem with Zone Alarm. Thought I should post and either be corrected or give warning about the issue.

Now for my system info.

Windows XP Pro w/ SP2 Build 5.1.2600.2180

StarSkin v.2.4.5.6 (purchased)

Zone Alarm v.5.5.062.004 (updated)
v.5.5.062.000 (previous version I think)
alexey (staff)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Compatability problem with Zone Alarm

1) Please download the StarSkin Inspector utility at:
http://www.rocketdivision.com/downloads/SSInspector.exe
2) Please copy the utility to whatever destination you like (it doesnt
really matter).
3) Please launch and then close the StarSkin Inspector.
4) It will examine your system and produce the log file. The file
SSInspector.log can be
found in the same directory as StarSkin Unspector itself.
5) Please send us this log file.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Compatability problem with Zone Alarm

Just my $0.02. ZoneAlarm is build around so called "NDIS hooking". Unsupported and unrecommended by Microsoft ideology. So we'll do our best to fix incompatibility issue but I need to admit we're not ashamed to have this particular one Smile BTW, why don't you use SP2 build-in firewall software? Does ZA do much better job for you?

Gabe wrote:
I have 2 problems actually.

1. StarSkin does not keep any of my theme changes constant when I restart my computer. I have to manually open StarSkin and apply the theme. Otherwise it displays a "light" version of the real theme. (ForeverBlue)

2. StarSkin locked up my pc whenever I tried the above, today. It did so constantly, every time I tried to fix the theme. It would act like it's changing the theme, (please wait pops up, background goes gray) then it comes back like it did, but the "light" version of ForeverBlue remains and then my pc totally freezes. I have to turn my pc off then on again to get out of it.

Well, despite the fact I had to fix the theme every time my pc rebooted I haven't had any problem with it otherwise. The freezing problem only started *after* I updated Zone Labs' Zone Alarm (free edition) to the latest version.

So on whim, I decided to turn off Zone Alarm then fix the theme. Well for some reason it worked. I rebooted and tried it again without turning off Zone Alarm. It again locked up. I tried once again, making sure to turn off Zone Alarm. StarSkin worked fine and did it's job. So I'm led to believe that it's some sort of compatablity problem with Zone Alarm. Thought I should post and either be corrected or give warning about the issue.

Now for my system info.

Windows XP Pro w/ SP2 Build 5.1.2600.2180

StarSkin v.2.4.5.6 (purchased)

Zone Alarm v.5.5.062.004 (updated)
v.5.5.062.000 (previous version I think)
Gabe

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 8:37 am    Post subject:

I sent the log file as instructed, and did the spamarrest thing so you could recieve my e-mail.

And as far as Zone Alarm, I don't see any problem with Zone Alarm. I've been using it on my machines for a several years now and I think it does it's job. I've used it since Windows 98SE and since before and after SP2 for XP. Whenever I see it reviewed it comes recommended over others with the only possible alternative of McAfee's firewall instead. Really the only thing I like in it over the SP2 firewall is the control of outgoing programs I have.

But in any case I do use both Zone Alarm, SP2's firewall, and I have a router, so mostly for me it's the outgoing control I have over programs. Other than that I have no particular love or hate of Zone Alarm. If there's something better I'll use it, if not, then Zone Alarm's for me. Simple as that.
alexey (staff)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 6:53 pm    Post subject:

Gabe wrote:
I sent the log file as instructed, and did the spamarrest thing so you could recieve my e-mail.

No, please, send it to me directly (alexey @ rocketdivision . com).
Thanks.
Gabe

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 10:01 pm    Post subject:

alexey (staff) wrote:
Gabe wrote:

No, please, send it to me directly (alexey @ rocketdivision . com).
Thanks.

Oh, ok, I just did that too. You said to send it to "us" so I sent it to . I now sent it to you as well. Seems now I have all my bases covered. Smile
alexey (staff)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 10:57 pm    Post subject:

Gabe wrote:

Oh, ok, I just did that too. You said to send it to "us" so I sent it to . I now sent it to you as well. Seems now I have all my bases covered. Smile

Check your mail Wink

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 12:25 am    Post subject:

Quote:
alexey in my e-mail>Your trial period was finished. That is why starskin does not keep your theme after reboot.

Now how is that possible? I had the trial version, then paid for the full version. That's what I'm using now. Did the trial version not uninstall all the way? In order to correct the locking up problem I uninstalled and reinstalled the paid version at least twice. I thought I unistalled everything then did the full version install. This one doesn't warn me about the trial period so I couldn't of installed the trial again. And in any case the trial stopped working after the time expired. Hence the reason I paid for the full version.
Gabe

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 11:21 am    Post subject:

Okay, ignore the above (and my e-mail), I for some reason thought that trial and paid were seperate versions. It's been a month since I ordered so forgive me on the details, I can't remember everything. Confused

So what do I do? Apparently the program thinks it's the trial (according to what you said), even though it doesn't bug me about registering. What do I do to clear everything and start anew? Apperntly a simple uninstall, reinstall isn't enough because I did that already.
alexey (staff)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 7:37 pm    Post subject:

Gabe wrote:
So what do I do? Apparently the program thinks it's the trial (according to what you said), even though it doesn't bug me about registering. What do I do to clear everything and start anew? Apperntly a simple uninstall, reinstall isn't enough because I did that already.

I have sent to you the instructions how to solve this problem.
      RocketDivision.Com Forum Index -> StarSkin
Page 1 of 1