Rocket Division Software

CD/DVD/Blu-Ray/HD-DVD recording, iSCSI and AoE (ATA-over-Ethernet)

[ 8 posts ] 
AuthorMessage
 Post subject: Deploying StarOpen with Application
Posted:

I am developing an application that includes the ability to export data to a CD\DVD and it is important that this feature work without administrator access on the PC. I understand that I need to copy the StarOpen.sys file to the target computer and add the registry keys contained in the StarOpen.reg file. My question is how do I install the correct version of StarOpen.sys? In my installer, I need to somehow choose between the i386 and amd64 versions and install the correct one. Could somebody who has done this before give me some guidance as to how to handle this as I would prefer not to query the user as they might choose the wrong one.

--
Nathan

Post subject: Re: Deploying StarOpen with Application
Posted:
Site Admin

StarOpen is legacy driver kept for compatibility reasons. Don't use it. Switch to the SPTD transport instead.

Nathan wrote:
I am developing an application that includes the ability to export data to a CD\DVD and it is important that this feature work without administrator access on the PC. I understand that I need to copy the StarOpen.sys file to the target computer and add the registry keys contained in the StarOpen.reg file. My question is how do I install the correct version of StarOpen.sys? In my installer, I need to somehow choose between the i386 and amd64 versions and install the correct one. Could somebody who has done this before give me some guidance as to how to handle this as I would prefer not to query the user as they might choose the wrong one.

--
Nathan

Rocket Division Software

Post subject:
Posted:

What do I need to change to use SPTD?

And what do i need to install on the user's machine to make sure everything works properly on Win2000/XP/Vista and both 32 and 64 bit processors.

Post subject:
Posted:
Site Admin

Check FindDeviceExEx sample.

SPTD layer shipped with StarBurn SDK.

Nathan wrote:
What do I need to change to use SPTD?

And what do i need to install on the user's machine to make sure everything works properly on Win2000/XP/Vista and both 32 and 64 bit processors.

Rocket Division Software

Post subject: Re: Deploying StarOpen with Application
Posted:

anton (staff) wrote:
StarOpen is legacy driver kept for compatibility reasons. Don't use it. Switch to the SPTD transport instead.

I think there might be some confustion here. I use the SPTD interface (i.e. I call StarBurn_CdvdBurnerGrabber_CreateExEx for devices CDROM1, CDROM2, etc) and I have found that I do need to use staropen.sys for this to work without administrative privileges.

But there is some good news. staropen.sys is not needed on Vista (both 32 and 64 bit versions) so don't install it in this case.

And a tip: set REG_DWORD Exclusive=0 in registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Staropen. Otherwise StarBurn_CdvdBurnerGrabber_CreateExEx will fail if, for example, you have an explorer window open for the drive. There don't seem to be any adverse side-effects of doing this.[/u]

And of course you will need to install the 64 bit version of staropen.sys on 64 bit versions of Windows XP, which might be a bit tricky if, like me, your installer is 32 bit.

Post subject:
Posted:
Site Admin

You don't need StarOpen for SPTD. They are totally separate from each other

Rocket Division Software

Post subject:
Posted:

anton (staff) wrote:

OK, I have learned something. But the docs do not explain any of this AT ALL and I think they should. As for me, I have put a lot of testing time into SPTI so I will stick with it. I also don't like the install implications of SPTD (e.g. reboot) and it worries me that there seem to be multiple versions floating around (so another app might come along and install an incompatible version).

PS: Pleeeeeeeese don't withdraw support for SPTI!

Post subject:
Posted:
Site Admin

Unfortulateny SPTD is so-called 'hooking' driver so there's no chance to avoid reboot. Also there will be NO problems with multiple versions as they are backward compatible.

We'll not drop SPTI support. Just like we still support ASPI.

alpinesoft wrote:
anton (staff) wrote:

OK, I have learned something. But the docs do not explain any of this AT ALL and I think they should. As for me, I have put a lot of testing time into SPTI so I will stick with it. I also don't like the install implications of SPTD (e.g. reboot) and it worries me that there seem to be multiple versions floating around (so another app might come along and install an incompatible version).

PS: Pleeeeeeeese don't withdraw support for SPTI!

Rocket Division Software

[ 8 posts ]